The rich culinary tradition of our country has helped us to relish and taste several types of vegetables with therapeutic benefits. One such amazing vegetable that is greatly valued and earns our interest is drumstick or moringa oleifera.
This humble vegetable is used extensively in Indian cookingsince ages.
It gives a distinct flavour to sambhar and other curries.Because of their earthier flavour, moringa pods tastes best when paired with hot, spicy, and tangy flavours.
Along with taste it has its own medicinal value, that’s why its new superfood of modern era.
The pods are hard, woody and sturdy on the outside.
The flesh, when cooked, is soft on the inside.
Because of the length, it is necessary to cut the Moringa pods into smaller pieces.
We also peel them a bit at first to remove some of the woodiness, however, when cooked in any dish, the smaller pod pieces can’t be directly eaten.
Below given are Medicinal qualities of drum stick tree in Ayurvedic text:
- Rasa(Taste)-Katu(pungent), Tikt (bitter)
- Guna(qualities)- Laghu(easy to digest), ruksha(dry), Teekshan(strong, piricing)
- Veerya-ushna(hot potency)
- Vipaka(post digestion effect): Katu
- Effect on Tridosha-balances Kapha&Vata
Let’s have a look on its benefits:
Drumstick being an incredible source of essential minerals like calcium and phosphorus, strengthens the bones in growing children. Regular addition of drumstick in the diet also helps in increasing bonemineral density in older people and prevents osteoporosis.
2.Augments Immune System:
High on vitamin C and antioxidants, drumstick helps to combat against common cold& flu. The anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties of drumstick assists in lessening the symptoms of asthma, cough, wheezing and other respiratory problems.
Drum stick soup (will share recipe in the end) relives quickly common cold symptoms.
3.Lowers the Risk of Cancer:
Regular consumption of drumstick in diet is a great way to boosts up the antioxidant profile. The abundance of vitamins A, C, beta-carotene and niacin help in suppressing the formation of cancer cells. In addition, the rich antioxidant profile help in getting rid of the free radicals and averts oxidative damage to cells.
4. Regulates Blood Sugar levels:
Drumsticks are a boon for diabetics as they are known to reduce elevated blood sugar levels significantly. It is a known to enhance the gall bladder and liver function, which in turn is helpful in lowering blood sugar.
5.May Reduce Inflammation:
Inflammation is the body’s natural response to infection or injury.
It’s an essential protective mechanism but may become a major health issue if it continues over a long period of time.
In fact, sustained inflammation is linked to many chronic health problems, including heart disease and cancer.
Scientists believe that isothiocyanates are the main anti-inflammatory compounds in moringa pods.
But so far, research is still going on.
Drum Stick Soup Recipe:
- 2 cups drumsticks (cut into 2” pieces)
- 1 tsp ghee/oil
- ¼ tsp finely chopped garlic
- ¼ tsp finely grated ginger
- ¼ tsp jeera powder
- ¼ cup onions
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp peppercorn powder
- Salt to taste
- For Garnish-1 tsp celery or cilantro leaves
- In a pressure cooker add ghee/oil sauté garlic, ginger for few seconds and then add drumstick and onions stir for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water and salt, pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Open the lid after the steam escapes. Add milk to the mixture and blend well until it turns into a smooth texture.
- Strain the mixture using a strainer and transfer the mixture into a non-stick saucepan add jeera and pepper powder boil for 5 minutes while occasionally stirring.
- Serve drumstick soup hot with toasted bread.