Dengue diet plan & tips to help in fast recovery
Dengue fever is also known as break bone fever.
There is no treatment for dengue, it’s only the symptoms that are treated. If you are not eating right during dengue, it may have long term implications.
When to suspect dengue….
- High grade fever (>101°F)
- Low backache & headache
- Pain in eyes or pain while moving the eye balls
- Skin rashes
- Joints pain
What is the main cause of Dengue Fever?
Dengue fever is cause by any one of the four types dengue viruses which are spread by mosquitos breeding on collected water around human Lodgings.
How does it affect our body?
When an infected mosquito bites a human, the dengue virus enters the bloodstream, it binds to platelets and replicates leading to multiplication of infectious virus. The infected platelet cells tend to destroy normal platelets which is one of the major causes for the drop in the platelet count in dengue fever.
How we can recover fast from fever?
Dengue recovery Tips:
Apart from the healthy and well-balanced diet which is light on your stomach, you need to take care of the following tips for healthy platelets and immune system.
- Following nutrients will boost up your platelets count
- Vitamin C
- Folic acid
- Vitamin B12
Include enough dietary sources of above nutrients and for supplements take your doctor’s /dietician’s advice.
- Take good care of hydration. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Keep a check on your urine colour, its transparency will ensure optimal hydration.
- Drink fruit juices especially citrus fruit like orange, mausambi (sweet lime), pomegranate juice, amla juice, lemon juice, carrot beetroot and amla juice, Aloe-vera juice, Mausambi Pineapple juice, guava juice etc.
- Drink tender coconut water daily.
- Take either fresh papaya leaf juice or in the form of pharma grade pills.
- Take cow’s milk (avoid full cream heavy milk) or goat milk with turmeric.
- Include sundried cranberries or cranberry juice.
- Avoid alcohol, spicy foods, red chili powder, fatty foods strictly.
- Avoid physical exertion.
- Avoid mental stress.
What kind of diet a Dengue patient should follow?
Sample diet chart for dengue patients:
EARLY MORNING- 1 glass lukewarm water with 1/2 lemon juice
OR Amla and Aloe-vera juice (30 ml each) with a glass of water.
BREAKFAST- Idly/Poha/ Porridge/Dhokla/Toast with egg white
MID MORNING- coconut water/ fresh fruits juice/ fresh vegetables juice + papaya leaf extract.
LUNCH- Boiled Rice/ chapatti + Daal + green vegetable + Curd
OR Spinach Khichdi + curd
OR Quinoa with veggies + curd
EVENING- mix veg soup /chicken soup
DINNER- boiled rice + any single dal + potato
OR boiled couscous with sautéed veggies
OR boiled rice + Rassam + green chutney
To get the customized diet plan as per your concerns / body type please feel free to contact us.