With about 92% water per serving size, watermelon is undoubtedly one of the most refreshing and hydrating summer fruit.
Most people gravitate toward the juicy center and toss the watermelon rind, assuming the tough exterior isn’t edible.
But it turns out, the watermelon rind (peel) actually has a range of health benefits
It’s a potent source of nutrients that happen to be totally different than those in watermelon flesh.
So, it’s almost like two fruits in one!
The whole watermelon contains numerous health benefits including its flesh, seeds and even the peel.
This includes the green scraps that usually end up in the compost bin.
Benefits of Watermelon Rind:
- Amino acid citrulline, which is concentrated in the rind part of the watermelon helps you in managing these issues :
- May help men with mild to moderate erectile dysfunction.
- Improve your athletic performance as well.
- lowering your blood pressure
- Another benefit of watermelon rind is that it’s a rich source of fiber. A diet high in fiber has a whole host of health benefits, including the following:
- Fiber helps maintain regular bowel movements and may help reduce the risk of developing diseases of the colon.
- Fiber can help lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Foods with fiber fill you up faster, helping achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
Here I am sharing the way I am using the watermelon rind as a part of my diet this summers. Check out the video recipe of watermelon peel veg here:-https://youtube.com/shorts/rfJ33LpWxeo
- Watermelon peels (तरबूज के छिलके)- 200 gm (green part peeled & diced)
- Onion (प्याज)- 50 gm (chopped)
- Mustard oil (सरसों का तेल)- 1 tsp (5 ml)
- Dry red chilli (सुखी लाल मिर्च)- 1
- Jeera (जीरा)- 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds (सरसों)- 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds (सौंफ)- 1/3 tsp
- Hing (हींग)- one pinch
- Green chilli (हरी मिर्च)- 1 (chopped)
- Turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)- 1/3 tsp
- Red chilli Powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)- 1/3 tsp
- Coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)- 1/2 tsp
- Amchur powder (आमचूर पाउडर)- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves (धनिया)-for garnish
- Heat oil in the kadahi add 1 tsp (5ml) Mustard oil.
- Add hing, dry red chilli, mustard seeds, jeera, Roast well for 1-2 minutes in low heat.
- Then add onion and sautee next 4-5 minutes.
- Add all the spices and mix well.
- Now add watermelon peel and coat it well with masala.
- Cover the lid for and let it cook well 10-15 minutes and switch the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
Nutritional Values (per serving)
Energy- 135 kcal
Protein 2.3 gm
Disclaimer:- The blog does not provide legal or medical advice. This blog is for information purpose only.